Friday, August 14, 2009

Flip Flops to Die For

You may remember in some of my crazier musings I would occasionally suggest that flip flops marked the end of Western Civilization as we know it. Now my theory related to the casual nature of society and how that led to relaxed standards, less effort, senioritis, and then inevitably, societal collapse.

Turns out before civilization crumbles, the flip flops may kill you!

Lab tests of two reporters' flip-flops, worn for four days, revealed a potentially deadly germ - Staphylococcus aureus - lurking on the rubber.

If it seeps into a cut on your foot - an entirely common summer affliction - the bacteria can enter the bloodstream and, if left untreated, kill you.

3 comments:

  1. You will have to pry my flip-flops from my cold, dead feet. I will only deign to wear real shoes for job interviews and other, more formal occasions (and I will be barefoot at my wedding only because flip-flops do not go with my dress). I won't even wear real shoes for what passes for cold weather out here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make that two of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my Birkenstocks a lot better than your standard flip flops.

    As far as flip flops signaling the end of civilization, it is valid. In the decades preceding the fall of the Western Roman Empire they went to gladiator matches at the Coliseum for hundreds of days in a row.

    Sounds hyper-capitalist to me...

    ReplyDelete